MTN Rwanda says it has agreed a settlement with a community in northern Rwanda which accuses the South African telecoms giant of taking their land and not compensating them for more than 11 years.
The case prompted intervention of Parliament’s committee on National unity, human rights and the fight against Genocide. The committee ordered MTN Rwanda end of last month to report back with solution before March 8.
It is now emerging that MTN officials visited the affected community on April 6, and held a meeting with them in the presence of officials from Kagogo sector.
On February 20 and 27, The Chronicles brought this case to public. It affects people in Nyamabuye village, Nyamabuye cell, Kagogo sector in Burera District, northern province.
In 2008, MTN constructed a road through farmland going to its antennas. However, according to a report by the parliamentary committee, MTN under valued their losses by over 80% – from Rwf 16,881,010 ($18,000) down to Rwf 3,107,000 ($3,500).
MTN Rwanda executives told lawmakers in the hearing they were summoned that they had no idea who came up with the Rwf 16,881,010.
Angry MPs ordered MTN to file a report before March 8 detailing the steps that will be taken to eventually clear their problem with the community.
Louis Butoyi the executive secretary of Kagogo sector told The Chronicles on Monday that he hopes the meeting they had with MTN will yielded positive results.
MTN promised to come back with a decision very soon, he added.
Alain Numa, the MTN Rwanda Head of Corporate Affairs, who was on the MTN team that visited Burera, said they did what was recommended by the parliamentary committee.
Numa told The Chronicles that he would not comment any further on the case.
Meanwhile, according to the original report of parliament which first raised the case, the affected people were about 60 from the community.
You can also find us on Signal