DR Congo indicated Sunday that the regional quadripartite summit scheduled this Sunday September 13 has been suspended indefinitely.
The foreign affairs ministry in Kinshasa said the summit that was due in Goma, directly neighboring Rwanda’s Rubavu district, had been put off as all the participants had indicated they were busy preparing for the UN General Assembly due later this month.
DRC President Felix Tshisekedi had been scheduled to host Rwanda’s Paul Kagame, Uganda’s Yoweri Museveni, Burundi’s Evariste Ndayishimiye and Angola’s João Lourenço.
However, Burundi sent a letter to Kinshasa a day before the technical team was due to travel to Goma, saying it will not be available.
Towards the end of the week, Uganda’s Museveni announced he would be travelling to Tanzania. And indeed, this Sunday, Museveni signed petroleum crude pipeline agreement with Tanzanian President John Pombe Magufuli.
DRC foreign ministry said Sunday that the summit has been “suspended sine die” (no new dates planned), suggesting it may never be held after all.
Tshisekedi had hoped to be the first leader to bring Rwanda and Burundi at same table – following a war of words between Kigali and Gitega.
You can also find us on Signal