Government says it is expecting double the number of pupils to show up for start of primary One due to the dead 2020 academic year.
Prime Minister Dr Edouard Ngirente told a joint session of Parliament this Tuesday that government was “ready” for what he called a a “double intake” when primary one begins in January 2021.
Only upper levels of primary, secondary and university education are currently studying after schools reopened in September after they were closed in March.
The Prime Minister had been summoned by Parliament to provide update on what government was planning to do with the country’s troubled education sector.
The PM said when schools closed there were already 460,000 pupils attending primary one. When that level of pupils are allowed to begin, another 500,000 pupils are expected to register.
“But as government, we are prepared,” said the PM Ngirente. “We have prepared teachers and classrooms for the pupils are under construction.”
The PM made reference to the 22,505 classrooms whose construction started in August and should be completed by end of this December. It is a World Bank funded scheme to the tune of $200m.
The eastern province will have an additional 6,725 classrooms, the southern with 4,914, as 5,752 classrooms are being constructed in western, 3,219 classrooms in the northern, and 1,895 classrooms in Kigali.