October 1, 2021

Sought By Families For Weeks, Police Parades Missing Muslim Men Over Terror Links


Trustworthy and indepth news stories are more important now than ever.
Support our newsroom by MAKING A CONTRIBUTION HERE
The only woman among the suspects paraded today

At least ten people, all of whom are from the Muslim community, have been missing since August 30 – with families searching for them unsuccessfully.

Some of them, appeared today among 13 suspects including a woman, paraded by Police and RIB as having been planning to blow up busy parts of Kigali.

The Chronicles collected names of the 10 missing as; Mucyo Ismail, Evaldi Noel, Bagire Salim, Mbaraga Hassan, Iratureba Abdulbast, Gatore Youssouf, Mussa Ali Nizar, Faida Ibrahim, Abdul Rahman and Niyonshuti Ndoli.

Among those paraded today include: Gatore Yousuuf, Niyonshuti Ndoli Ismael and Mbaraga Hassan.

While showing them to media, the Police and RIB displayed what were said to be explosives which would have been used to blow up Kigali’s tallest building KCT, the main bus park in Nyabugogo and other high traffic spots.

Police Spokesman CP John Bosco Kabera said preliminary investigations had established the suspects were linked to Ugandan group the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) which operates from eastern DR Congo.

The group has been fighting the government of Ugandan president Yoweri Museveni for many years. It has recently joined up with the global terrorist group ISIS.

Mbaraga Hassan, one of the key suspects, according to Police, told journalists that the plan had been hatched and prepared by the Mozambique-based islamist group.

Rwandan Police and army are deployed in Mozambique since July to fight Jamaat Ansar al-Sunnah insurgency in northern region of Cabo Delgado. At least four Rwandan troops have been killed and more than 100 insurgents.

The suspect in Kigali said the explosive detonations had been planned by the Cabo Delgado insurgents to “avenge” the loss of their people and territory in Mozambique.

Rwandan forces have pushed the insurgency out of Cabo Delgado, down into a region now under control of the SADC forces. The separation line is Messalo River.

At the press conference today, RIB spokesman Dr Murangira B Thierry said the 13 suspects face seven charges including: conspiracy to commit terrorism, belonging to terrorist group, forming criminal group, and terrorism.

They all risk up to 25 years each in prison.

We can't do quality journalism without your support

Perhaps it goes without saying — but producing quality journalism isn't cheap. At a time when newsroom resources and revenue are declining, The Chronicles remains committed to "Serving Your Right To Know The Truth". Stand with us as we document Rwanda's remarkable journey for you and the future generation. Do you value our journalism? We can't do it without you. Show us with your support by CONTRIBUTING HERE.
Email your news TIPS to info@chronicles.rw or WhatsApp +250788351327.
You can also find us on Signal

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.